Sunday, April 21, 2013

Cowboys for Christ

On Sundays we pick up Grandma for Sacrament Meeting, then take her back to her apartment, then return to get her after church so she can come and spend the day with us.  This Sunday afternoon, we went to get her and noticed that the lobby was filling up with musicians and old folks.  We decided to grab a chair and see what was up.

This is a local group of musicians that call themselves Cowboys for Chirst.  They are a fellowship that meets to play music.  I was impressed that they would willingly give of their time to come and share the Good News on a beautiful Sunday afternoon.  It was a lot of Cowboy, Christian, Country crooning.  (Songs like 'The Old Rugged Cross.')  

We tapped our foot and clapped along and I was really enjoying it.  After a set of songs, the lead guy started preaching about Jesus.  He preached that all we need to do is accept Christ. It doesn't matter the life we have lived, we just need to accept Jesus into our hearts.  Jackson walked over to me (he was on the far side of the room) and whispered in my ear, "Mom, I think we should probably leave pretty soon.  He is teaching different things than we believe."  

I smiled, hugged him, and set him on my lap.  I told him that I was proud of the good boy that he was.  I whispered that not everyone knows what we do, but we are glad that these Cowboys wanted people to love Jesus.  I was really touched at Jackson's tender heart.  He liked the music too, but when the preaching didn't jive with his knowledge of Salvation, he got very uncomfortable and was ready to go.

It was a great chance for us to talk about the Doctrine of Salvation. There is an article Here about it.  Nephi summed it up nicely when he said in 2 Nephi 25:23 "...for we know that it is by bgrace that we are saved, after all we can cdo."  The whole chapter is really good to clarify this idea too.
It was also a great time for us to talk about how blessed we are to have the Book of Mormon and the fullness of the Gospel.  In the New Testament you could look up scriptures all day long which seem to contradict how exactly we are saved.  We are so fortunate to have the clarity that the BOM and living prophets provide.

I am grateful for people that give up their day to go and share the message of Christ, because that is what He would have them do.  I know they will be blessed in their personal lives for that service.  I am so glad we got to hear them and talk more about it. :)




1 comment:

Dad's Thoughts said...

He will be a great missionary! Way to go Jackson.