Saturday, June 16, 2012

Black Hawk Pass


For the last 3 days, Gabe and Seth have been on a Varsity Scout biking trip.  They did a 50 mile trail known as Black Hawk Pass which is a section of the Colorado Trail.  It is at a really high altitude (above tree line in many places) and through some rugged country. Because of his tendency towards altitude sickness, John only joined them on the last 2 days for a lot of the fun stuff. ;)  He snapped a couple of pics with his iPhone for my blog.


John definitely had a favorite part of the trip.  There was a killer hill that about did everyone in.  It was up super high (no oxygen) and was steep for a long time.  Gabe was the first person up (so Gabe). John said he was taking it slow so his heart wouldn't explode out of his chest.  Seth had hung back with John  for a while, but then biked to the top (Seth told me that he was really proud he didn't put his foot down while climbing).  He left his bike there, then hiked back down to John.  From that point, he carried John's bike while John just walked the rest of the way.  Once they were to the top, Seth went and got another kid's bike and did the same thing with him.    John said that although he thought he could have made it...eventually... he loved letting Seth help him to the top.  John said that Seth was so much fun to be with on the trip.  They didn't see much of Gabe (as he always was out front...so Gabe...), but they all were glad they experienced that difficult, beautiful trail.


I am grateful for good leaders that took my boys on this ride.  I am grateful for the beautiful earth we have been given.  I am grateful for the Scouting program that helps them to learn to do hard things.  I am especially grateful for my good husband and sons. I gotta tell you, some days I wonder if those boys are going to turn out!  I was so glad to hear that story from John about Seth! :)

5 comments:

Kim Hannay said...

Love this! So cool that John was there with the boys to share it with them and then with you!

George and Eva Ross said...

Very cool for them to share in this experience. What a memory for them! Way to go Seth!

Bradley Ross said...

That is great they were able to get a group of boys together that would participate in the activity. It can be really hard to get scouts interested in hard physical activities, both in my own ward and in the conversations I have with other adult leaders.

meegz said...

WE DO HARD THINGS!! This is my mantra lately -- I think it may have to be for years to come as I agree with Bradley that it seems it's a fading trend.:(

Mimi said...

And HARD THINGS develop character as evidenced by Seth:). Thanks for sharing Michelle. PS, so glad to hear John has tendency toward high altitude sickness as I had problems with it at RV park above Gunnison. Now I can say it's genetic:). Jacki was out there going higher and higher at top speed!