Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Rest In Peace Grandma Peters

Today Dorothy Buck Peters, my grandma, passed away. She had been living in a nursing home in South Jordan near my mom. She leaves behind 5 children, the oldest being my mom, followed by 4 boys. I remember visiting her out in California where she lived with my Grandpa. It was like visiting a zoo as they always had many exotic animals around. The ones I remember most were the 20+ spider monkeys that were in a cage by their home. My grandpa was the only on that could go near them safely. Grandma told me it was because they thought he was the head monkey. I thought that was funny. They also had emus, snakes, super chickens, bison, cockatoos, and lots of other random creatures.

She always seemed pretty chipper to me and was quick to giggle. The last few years she was in a lot of pain and I am glad that she isn't suffering anymore. My sisters and I would comment that Grandma Peters was like the energizer Grandma. So many times she seemed close to the end of her life, only to bounce back and recover. When she moved to Utah, my sibling Weston was hired to take care of her which Grandma told me that she really enjoyed. She would show us the soap carvings made by him. I am grateful that Weston could learn of her life and tell us about it at a family reunion.

I know my Grandma must be really proud of my mom and the woman that she is. She took such good care of my Grandma in her last years. Although it is not surprising, it is still really wonderful to see how dedicated my mom is. She visited my Grandma every day and baked yellow cupcakes for her so she would always have one. I think it must be hard for her because my Grandma didn't bounce back and stay longer this time. I know she is in a better place and no longer in pain, and that is a comfort. God be with you til we meet again.

1 comment:

Lucy said...

What a loving tribute to your grandmother. She sounds like an incredible woman.