Saturday, December 24, 2011

Christmas Eve 2011

This year for Christmas Eve I was in the middle of shifting mental gears. Some may refer to this as pouting, which would be accurate. While I was glad that Grandma was home and doing better, I was feeling sad that we would not be going to SLC after Christmas as we had planned. Grandma would have come with us, but was really in no condition to travel.

This afternoon, our friend Moss came by with his son Jacob to shoot the new gun he had gotten for his birthday. I chatted with him for a minute and he told me that his wife was felling a little alone this Christmas. They recently moved here and although her family would be visiting for New Years, they were solo until then. I hesitated for a minute, then asked them if they'd like to come over for Christmas Eve. I hesitated because I know that's a fairly personal type of night, and I didn't want them to feel weird or obligated to come over, but I thought it would be a great way for both of us to cheer up a little bit! :)

Happily, they agreed to come and I am so glad that they did. We had a really great night! We had dinner, then acted out Luke 2 (yes, I did make everyone dress in the fabric). All of the kids played a part. Joseph (Seth) and Mary (Mary) are both in middle school, so they acted like they didn't know each other and Mary declined to ride the donkey (Gabe). But the shepherds, the angel, the wisemen, the star, and baby Jesus all played their parts well.
I loved talking with Moss and Tammy (the parents) and hearing about some of their life experiences. I was so glad they could come over so I wouldn't have to keep pouting! ;)

After they headed home, it was getting late, but we decided to open our traditional Christmas Eve present. Yes, it is always pajamas. The little guys still hold out hope for something more exciting, but we all pretty much know it's just going to be sleep wear. :) We took a few pictures before going to bed. Overall, I think it was a good night. Although we won't be going anywhere for the Holidays, I am glad I was reminded what they are about. Christmas is better when you have family and friends to share it with.


No comments: