Saturday, May 7, 2011

Peru or Bust

I learned today that my daughter is quite resourceful and likes to travel.

Earlier in the week, she was given a brochure for a trip that middle school students can participate in during the summer of '12. She showed me the brochure and I think I said something like 'Hmm, that sounds fun.' Then pretty much blew it off. I noticed the brochure on my desk yesterday and when I gave it a good look, I had to agree that it looked really cool-Machu Picchu is on my bucket list.

This afternoon Elise started collecting some stuff. A table. A cooler. Gallon pitchers.

"Elise, what are you doing?"

"I am going to set up a lemonade stand to raise some money to go to Peru."

"Uh, I don't know if that's a good idea. we live on a private road off of a county road."

"Can I call Dad?"

That is the standard question I get when I am leaning towards "No" but there sounds like there might be a small opening for a possible "Yes" from Dad.



He was all for it, and even arrived home to give them a ride to the end of our road. It was getting late in the afternoon so we agreed she could give it an hour peddling her wares. Jackson and Jebb were enlisted to help and they were off to raise some funds. They took 2 jugs of Kool-Aid, granola bars, an assortment of baggies full of goodies (think Vanilla Wafers), sodas, and bottles water. We gave her the cell phone and told us to call if they got tired of waiting for customers. I thought because of our location, they wouldn't see a lot of action.

Well, the hour passed quickly and John called to tell them he was coming for them. I could hear the tone of Elise's voice, but not the words and she sounded quite enthusiastic. John grinned and chuckled as he told me that during the hour they had raised $40!!!! Not a bad hourly average!!!

Elise only charged $0.05 a glass for Kool-Aid, but when she showed her brochure to her customers, many of them donated extra dollars. She must be quite the saleswoman! :) Maybe I should start saving my dollars so I can go to Peru with her!

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Are you going to let her go? That's so cool. I have a friend living in Lima right now. Not sure how that helps, but somehow, maybe?...

Mimi said...

You can go as a chaperone...they always want cooperative parents. Then you'll both be happy:)!