Sunday, January 30, 2011

Lead Kindly Light

I love Sunday and I love going to church. Like most people, there might be mornings I feel like sleeping in on Sunday morning, but for the most part I really look forward to the Sabbath.

This Sunday was the reason I enjoy church. Sacrament meeting was so good. I think it is really important to have spiritual sacrament meetings because that is often where investigators or less actives come to dip their proverbial toe in the water. It was a High Council Sunday and we got to hear from a woman in our ward as well as a HC guy from Bayfield.

It was really great for me. Sis Ash talked about Charity and told a story about a couple talking at breakfast. Each morning the wife would look out her window at her neighbor's laundry hanging on the line. She would always comment on her poor cleaning skills and note how dirty the sheets still were. The husband always just listened. One morning, as she looked out the window, she told her husband in a surprised voice that it looked like her neighbor must have finally learned how to properly wash as the sheets were actually clean this morning. The husband then told his wife that he had gotten up very early this morning, and cleaned their windows. She talked about how we all need to be more loving and give one another the benefit of the doubt.

Then the High Councilman spoke and talked about obedience and accepting callings. He read a statement that a Calling is not just an Invitation. He talked about how important it is to always accept a calling when it comes. So true, so good.

I really felt the Spirit in the meeting and I was so grateful I went! I have really let a lot of stresses get the best of me lately and i needed to get grounded again and remember what matters. I felt spiritually fed and uplifted.

We went to sing the closing song and it was the Hymn, 'Lead Kindly Light.' It is one that we don't sing very often, but I liked that we were singing it because it has an interesting Alto part. I have to admit that I don't have the words memorized as I do to many hymns, and frankly I didn't even know what the song was about exactly. Until this Sunday.

Lead, Kindly Light

Prayerfully

31243, Hymns, Lead, Kindly Light, no. 97

1. Lead, kindly Light, amid th’encircling gloom;
Lead thou me on!
The night is dark, and I am far from home;
Lead thou me on!
Keep thou my feet; I do not ask to see
The distant scene—one step enough for me.

2. I was not ever thus, nor pray’d that thou
Shouldst lead me on.
I loved to choose and see my path; but now,
Lead thou me on!
I loved the garish day, and, spite of fears,
Pride ruled my will. Remember not past years.


There is one more verst, but the first two were important to me and by the third I was too choked up to sing anyway.

Today this hymn was for me. In my life I always, as the second verse says, loved to choose and see my path. But one step, right now, needs to be enough for me.

I don't know why exactly the words hit me so powerfully today, but they did. I felt the truth of those words and I know that when I have been prideful, I am less likely to let the Lord lead me one step at a time.

This is a lesson that I seem to need to be reminded of because at different times in my life, I have been able to go one day at a time. I remember when I went to BYU, I decided to go there kind of last minute because it just felt right. I got to Provo a few days before class started and my brother let me stay at his house. I didn't have a job, but I heard about a resturant and knew that was where I would work. I went in and applied for the job and was hired (it was the only place I applied). A few days later, classes started and i still didn't have a place to live. But I wasn't worried about it because I had an idea that I would just buy someone else's contract cheap when they went home early (I had done this at Rick's College before). I was at my brand new job and was talking to another girl. She told me where she was living (Liberty Square) and i told her that is the complex I was going to live in, but I didn't have a contract or room yet. She told me her roommate just decided to move back home and wanted to sell her contract. Bingo! And it was perfect! Perfect roommates, perfect ward, perfect everything! And it all just came together, like I knew it would.

So I know that it can be done. I can let Light Kindly Lead me. I just forget sometimes.

I am so grateful for church!! It puts us in a place where the Spirit can whisper to us the things we need to know. And right now I could use some good tips! :)

No comments: