Friday, December 24, 2010

Christmas Eve 2010

This year we had a quiet Christmas Eve. After a fancy spaghetti dinner we cleared the dishes, cleaned up, and settled in for the reading of the Christmas Story from the Bible. Love that story.

Then it was time to open our traditional Christmas Eve present. The kids all feigned surprise at...
PAJAMAS! We opted for athletic shorts for the big boys as this is what they sleep, eat, and live in these days. The kids all changed and lined up for the PJ shot!

This year I tried something a little different. After everyone was ready for bed, we went downstairs to watch a movie together before bed. I picked the movie "A Christmas Carol." None of us saw it last year in the theater and I thought it would be a great family activity to watch Dicken's heartwarming tale of Christmas Redemption.

Little did I know that this latest animated version is actually a HORROR film! OK, not quite a horror film, but it certainly took a long, dreary, and somewhat frighting while to get to the happy ending. Part way through the film, Jebb looked sadly up at me and said, "I hope I don't get nightmares from this." Uh, ya, Jebb, Merry Christmas buddy.... Ugg! Not exactly the warm fuzzy send off for Christmas Eve I was envisioning. Good luck with those visions of Sugar Plumbs and whatnot, kids!

Oh well, live and learn, right? There is redemption for us all, even for us poor parents on Christmas Eve!

We sent everyone to bed, cleaned up the soda and popcorn, and John and I headed upstairs to look for signs of Santa. I noticed that one of the stockings has something sticking out from it:

It was Jackson's stocking and he had left a message to Santa. It read, "Thank you for the presents" and then (I am guessing a bit here) he tried to write "Signed, the EX." He has been putting on costumes with Jebb all week having fantastic adventures and I am assuming this is his latest alias as a caped hero. I thought it was super cool that he left Santa a Thank You note!


Santa left a return message. Sidenote: I grew up in a household where we did not believe in Santa Claus. I still struggle with the whole thing. End of Sidenote. But obviously I am not that conflicted, as I wrote the return note in my best 'Claus' font.

I am grateful for so many blessings in our life. I am glad we have Christmas to remind us of the greatest gift.

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

1 comment:

Brooke said...

Haha! That is so cute that you, despite being conflicted over the whole Santa thing, (I'm that way, too) took the time to write a note back. Aric spent 20 minutes answering Jasper's 'Elf note' in his very best (disguised) Elf handwriting just for her to say, "Dad, this looks like YOUR handwriting"! :D You must have done a better job! Happy New Year to your awesome family!