Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Election Day

It is Election Day in our fair country and I was up bright and early at 5:00am. No, not so I could be first in line to vote, I did that last week. I was up early because I volunteered to be an Election Judge. After a training session, I was assigned to be a Supply Judge in a downtown precinct. They have to have Democrats and Republicans at all polling places to make sure that there are no shenanigans. I am an R and was therefore assigned to this precinct which is mostly D.

We set up from 6-7am in preparation for voting to commence. It seemed like everything was going smoothly until we couldn't get into our computer to confirm voters were registered. Luckily, we got a couple of troubleshooters from the Clerk's office that got us all set up and ready to roll. I was told it would be a quiet day and was a very un-busy district. I guess no one living there got that memo, because we had steady voters coming through until we closed the polls at 7pm! Crazy! As the Supply Judge, I was expected to run the show, which was pretty interesting as I had never been an Election Judge before. Luckily, there were no major snafu's and I think everyone was able to exercise their right to vote.

It was a good experience, but when we finally all left at 9pm, I have to admit I was really glad to be DONE! :) John met me at the Republican 'Victory Party' to watch some of the results. It was great to see a lot of the folks there that have worked in our Tea Party/9-12 groups this year. I have learned a lot about the political process this year and have had some good experiences. One of these days I am going to write a little bit about politics. It has been a big chunk of my life lately, but it's one of those things that I still don't talk a lot about unless I am at a meeting or something.

While I was pretty happy with the elections this year, I still think there is much to do...here's looking toward 2012!

No comments: