Saturday, October 9, 2010

Football Championships

Today was the Middle School A-team Championship game. Gabe's team was playing the Pagosa Pirates. Last time they met the Pirates, Escalante squeaked out a rainy win against them as a torrential rain poured and poured in Pagosa. So this time, Pagosa had a score to settle (I guess that is where that phrase comes from...some sort of sporting event where a score would be kept....anyhoo).

Gabe played really well and I was thrilled that the weather was much more pleasant this time around. In fact, I would be hard pressed to think of a more perfect football watching day. Cool fall day, blue sunny skies, little kids playing on the sidelines as they cheer on their big brothers on the local team. Delightful! Gabe is #13. Thanks to Seth for taking some fun pictures.


One thing that I really admire about Gabe is his work ethic. He gives every play his best effort and ends up on the ground in most every play. He plays offense and defense (he thinks D is more fun). I like this next pic that Seth took--very artsy! :)

Gabe had some great tackles--here he is sacking the QB! We told him we would pay him $20 for any QB sack he made this year, so after this play, he stood up, smiled and pointed at John to remind us. I think that is the only time I have seen him look over and communicate with us overtly from the field. He is typically quite focused, so I thought it was adorable (although I am sure he would be horrified at my word choice)!

We also got this cool shot of him catching a pass.

He played his heart out, but sadly, it was not enough as the Pirates beat us this year. Tough way to end the season, but it didn't dampen my enjoyment of the game much. It is really fun to see your boys learning new skills. I loved watching Gabe and Seth play on their teams this year and I really loved seeing them work HARD! I would rather watch my boys play football than go see a professional team play. It really is fun! :)

1 comment:

Kim Hannay said...

I LOVE football! Wish we could have been there to cheer you on.