Saturday, August 7, 2010

The Butterfly Bush


There is a butterfly bush near our front door. I rarely see butterflies near it, but I often see hummingbirds. Today I sat and watched the scene for about 15 minutes. Hummingbirds are very territorial and are just as aggressive as something so small and high strung logically would be. It was almost comical watching bird A belly up to the butterfly bush only to have bird B chase him off then return to the same blossom to eat.

I decided to go back in the house and got my camera. By this time, bird A was firmly chased away and I got to watch bird B dance from flower to flower, as leisurely I supposes as any hummingbird would. I guess I should call the bossier one bird A though, shouldn't I?




7 comments:

Lori said...

I think that the discovery channel is going to be calling you to become their wild life photographer because those pictures are totally cool!! LOVE THEM

George and Eva Ross said...

Awesome! Those are great shots. I tried so many times to get shots of them in Tobago but to no avail. Those shots are some of the best I have seen of hummingbirds!

Cajsa said...

Ditto what everyone else said, but I really just wanted to comment that I miss seeing hummingbirds. I remember growing up in Colorado and seeing them all the time.

Lucy said...

those are some really, really pretty pictures.

I'm always glad when you identify flowers and bushes on your blog because then I know what the heck is growing over here!

Keryn said...

Those are AMAZING pictures. Wow, Michelle.

ShelleyG said...

Aren't hummingbirds the coolest? I was so excited to see the pics turn out! Even at the fast speed, their wings are still a blur!

Mimi said...

Just ditto...love the pix!