Thursday, July 15, 2010

What Does It Mean?

Recently on my Blog List I noticed that my friend Natalie had posted as her name moved up to the top of my list. Natalie is one of my old friends from Jr High and is flat out hysterical. I was thrilled to see that she was again blogging and I popped over to see what she had come up with. Visit Her Here

She had posted about a site she found where you can cut and paste anything you have written, and it will (magically) analyze your writing style and tell you who you write like. She found out that she wrote like Ernest Hemingway. How cool is that?

I was pretty excited to check it out and I linked to the site. Natalie's author match was cool, but who would the analysis pick for me? Maybe Mark Twain, Jane Austen, or my favorite CS Lewis. Maybe someone more contemporary like JK Rawling! Ooo, that would be cool. JK Rawling. Ya. I liked the thought of that. Who doesn't love that English Wizard, orphaned Harry Potter?

I randomly scrolled down my own blog until I got to a chunk of writing from a kid themed post. I copied then clicked over to the site to paste my writing sample in.

It was fast. Somehow it seemed like it should take a long time if they were analyzing my writing style and comparing it to JK's. But right away there was the result, only it wasn't the author of Hogwart's fame.

It was Bram Stoker.

BRAM STOKER? Didn't he write Dracula? Like 100's of years ago??

I clicked beck over to my blog and picked another post about swim lessons. Maybe I had pasted some weird paragraph with strange internal dialogue or something before. I picked out a pretty normal looking post and copied a chunk.

Click back.

Paste.

Boom-there was my result. Only this time it wasn't Bram Stoker.

It was Stephen King.

WHAT?! Now I was really distrubed!

I tried a third time. Click back. Find a chunk of writing. Copy. Paste.

Stephen King. Again.

What in the world does this mean? What does this say about me? Am I a deeply disturbed individual like I have suspected all this time?!

I began to think that maybe everyone got similar results and it was just a freak-out site. So I picked a few other blogs I regularly read and went through whole routine.

Copy. Paste. Result: Robert Lewis Stevenson

Copy. Paste. Result: Stephanie Meyer.

What? I like both of those writers. One of them isn't modern, but Treasure Island...that's a great story...not like creepy Dracula. Although the other author does write about vampires--hipper, handsomer vampires though.

So what does it all mean?

I don't have the answer.

But I do have the link:

Who do you write like?

No comments: