Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Swim Lessons

With summer comes swimming lessons.

Well, most summers.

OK, OK, not for a few summers.

But I know that learning to swim is an essential life skill and I am trying to get back in the groove. I enrolled Jackson and Jebb in classes that have been going for a little over a week now. In years past I have tried to have 3-4 kids going at the same time and it rarely worked out well. I was amazed at how easy it is to find classes for just the 2 of them at the same time.

The last time Jackson took lessons it was not fun, so I was a little apprehensive at the start. Happily, he is doing fantastic and there is no crying or refusing to swim (granted, he was only 3 or 4 the last time he took lessons...). He is kicking and moving his arms now too. It is fun to see him happy and feeling like he is doing well (which he is!)
Jebb is enjoying his class too. After the first day, they decided to move him up a level since he was pretty comfortable in the water. Jebb does not like change and even though he had only been once, he did NOT want to change teachers. I tried to let him see me thinking it was no big deal (I basically dropped him off with a casual goodbye and a smile, and walked off without looking back). I could almost feel his anxiety hitting me in the back of the head as it emulated from my little guy sitting poolside, but he handled it well. After the new class he let me know that he liked his new teacher even more than the first and he was glad he had to switch. Hooray!

Only a few more days and this session of lessons will be over. It went so well I am thinking we might have to do another one!

2 comments:

Keryn said...

We sure didn't manage swim lessons this summer. I did, however, take Em and Zee swimming on Saturday. We had a great time but it totally wiped me out.

Your kids are so sweet! I can't wait to see all of you. Just a few more days!

Mimi said...

That is the cutest picture of Jeb! Believe me, both of your boys are doing GREAT!!! I teach level 1 and out of 3 classes, have less than half passing because the kids are so afraid to put their heads in the water.