Thursday, July 15, 2010

Feeling Our Tom Sawyer

The big boys have been working this summer--often at the pit. But today I needed them home. We have been doing some sprucing up around the house and I put them to work staining the backyard fence.

They were not excited. They murmured. They moved in slow motion.

I have to admit though, it is HOT outside. I thought it might go faster if we all pitched in and I asked John to pick up some extra brushed on his way home.




I tried to encourage everyone by saying "Paint the fence" in my best Mr. Myagi voice. Sadly, my kids have never seen the original Karate Kid. But we pressed on. We all got into the act and had half of the fence finished in no time. We had to stop because we ran out of stain, but we will pick it up again where we left off. Seth made the observation that when we all worked together it didn't even seem like work! He was right and I am almost looking forward to finishing it up next week!

1 comment:

Kelly said...

If you ever drive to my parents, please notice the white fence lining their drive. My brothers and I spent a whole summer painting it. There was only part of if I wouldn't do becuase it was in "snake territory". It has made a fun memory.