Sunday, June 27, 2010

Up All Night

I've still got it baby! Oh ya! I am proud to say that I lived like a teenager last nigh!! :)

Last night was the multi-year reunion dinner. I was super excited to go until I learned that my hot hubby (aka my best accessory) was feeling super not good (that's code for: he puked). This was not totally out of left field, as Jebb puked Friday afternoon, but I was really bummed when he pushed me out the door to attend on my own. I don't usually mind going to social functions on my own, but I had kinda gotten a mental image of us hangin' with my HS peeps. You know, chattin' it up with folks, then telling John some crazy back story about them later. I know it can be a drag for a spouse to attend something like this, but John is a champ about things like that. He even pretends to find humor and interest in the back stories. So my excitement was hugely reduced, but I hopped in the car and met up with my houseboat girls.

Since John wasn't there, I will give the backstories now of my houseboat girls.

Lisa--Lisa was the hook-up. Her hubby is a Senior VP for the company that owns Antelope Marina. "He's kind of a big deal," as Lisa would say. She graduated with me and then was my roommate our first year at Rick's College. She left Rick's after one year so she could move to AZ where Garin would soon find her and quickly marry her. Lisa is a lot of fun and easy to hang out with. I remember meeting her with her curly brown 80's perm and her red lipstick on her fantastic smile! I liked her instantly.

Dabrielle--Also graduated from HS with us and is one of Lisa's closest friends. They both live in AZ and still hang out all the time. Dabe is our swingin' single girl who gives us the liberal perspective on hot button issues. I really enjoy talking to her because she isn't afraid to challenge what you say or your conservative point of view! :) She is a loyal friend and remembers lots of fun HS details. Her basement was the place to be every Saturday Night for SNL back in the day. These days, she is the Girl's Camp director for her ward. Because of this, she didn't get in until Sat morning.

Lori--Lori is a young-un (I am not sure how to spell that...), and a younger sister to Lisa. She is 2 years younger than me but I think of her as one of my favorite friends from Page. We were in tennis together in HS and got to work together at the Polo Outlet the summer before my mission. Lori also reminded me that we are close because we both made out in the same basement (I dated her brother for a while when she dated one of his friends). She obviously has a fun sense of humor. :) She now has a bunch of kids and lives up in Denver and it just so happens that my nieces are best friends with her oldest daughter (I love that!)

Jarica--Lisa an Lori's youngest sister who brought her new baby along. This freaked me out a little, as I think of Jarica (or Suzy as I like to call her) as a little girl. She's all grown up though and is such a cute mom.

Amy--The first person I met in Page was Amy. Her dad was our bishop and he sent her over to be friendly. Amy is a HOOT! She was always involved in some crazy scheme or mischief and I used to think it was largely circumstantial that she was a part of it all. I decided on this trip that she was the mastermind behind most of it! :) I will forever be grateful to Amy for taking me under her wing and introducing me around town that first summer. She made a move to a new town before my Junior year so much easier and even FUN! Amy comes from a pioneering Page family and I call her the keystone of all sociality in Page. She knows everyone and what they're up to.

Andrea--The oldest in her family, Andrea graduated before I moved to Page, but I know everyone else in her family and was friends with a couple of her brothers. She was always this beautiful, older, really-cool persona to me and was the girl that every guy was secretly in love with. I enjoyed hanging out with her and found her to be inspiring and courageous. She just finished Chemotherapy and her hair is short, brown, and wavy which is the complete opposite of her long, blonde, straight locks that everyone in town knew her for.

******************

Saturday night was the big dinner event for all of the classes out at Wahweap. LOVED it! It was great to see people, but it was definately too short and I didn't talk to half of the people I wanted to. They finally kicked us all out of the place and I hopped in a car with Andrea, Amy, and Dabrielle. We went to RD's and convinced them to sell us some treats even though they were closed (Amy worked the Larson charm) then we went to and got some food at McDonalds as it was closing. By now it was midnight and I was thinking I should probably head home, but I had loaned my car to my friend Jimmy, so I went back to the houseboat to pick it up and tell everyone goodbye and goodnight.

Back at he houseboat, everyone was planning on hot tubbing and I just couldn't resist staying to hang for a little while. Lisa loaned me a suit and we all headed to the top deck where the hot tub is. Talk about a beautiful setting! Holy Cow! We are sitting at the marina, on the lake, the desert rocks all around us, and we can see pretty well as a bright full moon illuminated the night sky. The weather was perfect and we all settled in for a soak.

We talked about old times and caught up on what we were all doing now. We told funny stories and shared some of our challenges. We talked about old classmates and about our own families. It was hilarious, sad, heart warming, heart breaking, and everything else you would imagine when 7 girls are chatting it up all night.

As I thought about all of these good women and all of the other people from our reunion that I had visited with I began to think that something was wrong. It seemed like everyone has some big challenge in their life. Sickness, death, family struggles. I wondered if there was some weird bad luck going around with everyone I knew. But then I thought about it a little more and I realized that this is just life. It wasn't that all of my old classmates were having some really bad year, it was just that we were all getting together and really sharing what our lives were about. Because we had to catch up in a day, it seemed like all of their trials came at once.

Of course this isn't the case. I think if you got any random group of people together and they were open and honest, you would realize that everyone has a story. Everyone is wrestling with a big challenge. I know that sometimes I feel like my own life is really difficult, but I realized at this reunion that it is also the life I need. I wouldn't trade my trials with anyone else's. I found it inspiring to hear that people were struggling, but they were keeping the faith. They were still fighting on. I love that kind of exceptional courage in the common, everyday battles.

We were all feeling a little tired and waterlogged as we noticed that although the moon was still shining brightly above us, the sky was getting lighter in the east. We all laughed when we realized that we had stayed up ALL NIGHT! The clouds on the horizon got pink and the sky turned orange just before the sun popped up over the distant buttes. Sunrises in the desert are phenomenal-I have seen a few in my younger days, but this one was more colorful than any memory.

We decided to come in and let our fingers and toes de-raisin. Everyone headed to bed. I decided to go for the power nap on the couch. I longed to let sleep wash over me, but I have 5 kids and we all had church at 9:00!! I cat napped for a while, then decided I'd better get up and go home before I really fell asleep. As I walked up the hill to my car in the same clothes I'd worn last night, I couldn't help but feel a little triumph over oldness. What a rebel I am!!

I walked in the door at my sister's house at around 7:30a and Seth was sitting on the couch. He looked at me with a stunned expression and asked if I were just getting home. I smiled and told him I never wanted him staying out this late...EVER! My kids were somewhat awed when I recapped my night. Now that I am writing this, I am questioning the wisdom of letting my kids know about this... sleep deprivation can impair your judgement.

I intentionally left on my same blouse, and we all headed to church. I admit I only made it through Sac Mtg before I was ready to go home. I felt OK about it because not only did Gabe and Seth both forgot their church clothes, but Jackson and Elise were not feeling well. OK, who am I kidding, I just wanted to go home and take a NAP!!

It was so great to see old friends and pull a girl's all-nighter with some amazing ladies! Things like that never get OLD. ;)