Sunday, May 30, 2010

Sunday Surprise

This afternoon as we were sitting around reverently meditating on the Sabbath (heehee), the phone rang. I almost didn't answer thinking it might be another dang survey call (I am on some political 'to call and harass' list). I took a chance and I am SO glad I did! On the other end of the line I heard a familiar voice from my long-ago past. Marla (SIPE) Weaver was about an hour from my house on a long drive home and she wondered if she could drop in as they would be cruising right by our casa!

I was ecstatic!! Marla (or 'Sipe' as I think of her) is one of my favorite people. She was my first missionary companion (or 'trainer') back in the day. She helped me negotiate the unfamiliar lifestyle of a missionary in the Canada, Halifax mission. Sipe is one of the coolest girls I have the pleasure of knowing. She is the most patient and easy going people I have ever lived with. She is also one heck of a practical joker...man, oh man...the stories I could tell!

I told my daughter Elise that if she had any spiritual type questions she should ask Sipe because she has an uncanny gift of discernment. She has a unique 'feel' for things. She is a great example of walking by faith to me. She still has lots of amazing stories and her testimony still burns bright. she said her family has had some difficult years but they feel like they are coming out of it. I was happy to hear that. It reminded me of a scripture in Alma

Alma 17: 2
2 Now these sons of Mosiah were with Alma at the time the angel first appeared unto him; therefore Alma did rejoice exceedingly to see his brethren; and what added more to his joy, they were still his brethren in the Lord; yea, and they had waxed strong in the knowledge of the truth; for they were men of a sound understanding and they had searched the scriptures diligently, that they might know the word of God.


Alma met up with his old mission buddies and it was great to see them. The only thing that added to his happiness was knowing they were still strong in the faith.

Our lives have changed a lot since those days in Fall River, Nova Scotia. I don't think Marla has aged a day since our missions. She still has the same easy smile and happy eyes. We both have managed to multiply quite dramatically! It was so great to visit with her while her kids stretched their legs a little and my kids got them all revved up for their drive back to Utah.

Look how stinkin' cute her family is! Darrell and Marla have 5 kids age 7 and under! Woo Hoo! Now that is amazing! :) I am so glad they took time to stop in! I am so grateful for the chance I had to go on a mission where I got to meet some of the greatest people I know. It's funny how things like that are--I thought I was making this big sacrifice to serve, but it turned out to be a huge blessing in my life in so many unexpected and extraordinary ways.

1 comment:

George and Eva Ross said...

How cool! I remember how impressed you were with her. Neat family. Hmmmm, mostly boys!