Thursday, April 22, 2010

Daisy v. the Skunks Chapter II

I guess before I tell Chapter II, I should recap Chapter I....Several weeks ago we went out out to the garage on our way to school. WHOA! Our senses were assaulted by the distinct STINK of a skunk. As our dog, Daisy, ran over to greet us, the smell grew in strength and offense. It was immediately obvious that Daisy had tangled with one of those black and white beasts. We weren't sure who the victor was in this confrontation, until we drove down our road to go to school. There we saw Velvet, our neighbor's trusty golden retreiver, trotting home from our house with a critter dangling from her jaws. There is no mistaking a skunk, and I have to admit I was once again thrilled at the breed selection of our neighbors (Velvet retrieves all dead things straight to her own front porch).

While I was glad to have one less skunk in our world, I was not excited about the staunch aroma Daisy now carried around with her. It surely didn't set well with her either and it only took Daisy a few hours to roll herself in some mud and horse poop. She seemed genuinely offended when I did not let her into the house for a few days. Eventually all smells wear and wash off and we welcomed Daisy back into our home.

Last night a new battle commenced and the local skunks returned to mix it up once again. Enter Chapter II. This time there was no dead skunk, only a stinky dog. Chalk one up for the Skunks. True to form, Daisy has managed to coat her coat in mud before I got back from dropping the kids off at school. Once again she looked shocked and appalled when I denied her entry into our home.

Although a fierce hunter, Daisy is extremely afraid of thunder and spring has been rumbling around lately. I usually bring her in each afternoon so she won't run away in fear when the clouds roll in. Today I made an exception. I tried to talk her through it and explained that her doghouse in the garage was a great place to hang in case of thunder. Well, she wasn't convinced and I realized she was nowhere to be found about the time the kids got home. Of course they were organizing search parties and were cruising the mule around the area until they were forced to come in during a cloudburst. My only real concern was that Daisy, in all her skunky, muddy glory would try to break into our neighbors house to wait out the storm. I don't think they would be amused to see she had come in their doggie door in such a state. I willed the phone not to ring with the call for us to retrieve her and wash the neighbor's carpet.

Alas, I will never know where she waited out the quickly passing storm, but Daisy turned up at the back door around dinnertime. Still muddy, still skunky, still stormy, we knew we had to take action. This is one of those times when I am so glad my husband has a shop with a shower. Elise accompanied John to tackle the task. So here is the great recipe I got from a friend on how to get rid of the skunk smell:

The Skunk Remedy Recipe
In a plastic bucket, mix well the following ingredients:
1 quart of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide
1/4 cup of baking soda
1 to 2 teaspoons liquid soap
for very large pets one quart of tepid tap water may be added to enable complete coverage.
Wash pet promptly and thoroughly, work the solution deep into the fur. Let your nose guide you, leave the solution on about 5 minutes or until the odor is gone. Some heavily oiled areas may require a "rinse and repeat" washing.
Skunks usually aim for the face, but try to keep the solution out of the eyes - it stings. If you have any cuts on your hands you might want to wear latex gloves for the same reason.
After treatment, thoroughly rinse your pet with tepid tap water.
Pour the spent solution down the drain with running water.
NEVER, ever, store mixed solution in a closed bottle, sprayer,etc. Pressure will build up until the container bursts. This can cause severe injury.




I am hoping the skunk doesn't return soon for a rematch, at least not until the Spring Thunderstorms have passed.

4 comments:

Lori said...

Great post michelle....however, I think i'm most in love with the way cute "bee" wallpaper! Good luck with the skunks. Our cat got sprayed once and came running into the house and proceeded to roll all ove the carpet with "skunk juice" all over him, NOT GOOD!

Kelly said...

I saw a skunk once by the side of the road when I was running by my parents house. I hope they would have let me in if I'd been sprayed! :)

Mimi said...

Kristine used to always wash the dogs in tomato juice. She swore by it!

Mimi said...

PS..my Daisy must be too fast for the skunks. She has only been sprayed once and believe me Iknow she gets into enough mischief that she has to have been around them multiple times.