Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Seth is 12

Today is Seth's 12th birthday. In our family, 12 is an important birthday for boys. This is the age when boys are ordained to the Aaronic Priesthood. I posted previously about the Faith in God Program he has participated in. I am glad to note that he completed all of his requirements to finish that. He also let me know just yesterday that he completed the Book of Mormon. I am really proud of Seth for reading it on his own (He said he really liked Enos).

Seth has grown a lot this last year. I think he is a brilliant young man. He has a huge heart and is so generous. It isn't always easy to be the second son, but he has carved out his own identity and is such an asset to our family. I am so impressed with Seth in his role as 'big-brother.' He always looks out for the little guys and is proud to have them around.

When Seth was a baby, he was really colicky. He would cry for several hours every night. There was nothing I could do to help him, and he would scream like he was ticked!! I wondered if this was a sign of things to come! Luckily, he eventually outgrew the colic, but he still could have a flaring temper when provoked. When Seth was 5 or 6 years old he decided to work on his temper. He would pray each night to be able to control his temper and he tried hard to be aware of it. And he got better. This has been an ongoing pattern with Seth. He has the integrity to recognize when he is in the wrong, and he has the character to try to make himself better. I respect that so much about him.

Seth is just fun to hang out with. He is smart and funny. John and I got to take him out to dinner tonight as we will be having the cake and birthday stuff over the weekend. We stopped in a shop downtown and we were cracking ourselves up trying on fun hats. We had a great time and Seth even shared his dessert with us.


Happy Birthday Seth! I am so proud of the young man you are becoming. 12 is an important milestone in your life and I am glad to see you are choosing the right path. I love you!!! I am excited to watch you learn and grow as you enter the Young Man phase of life. I look forward to the man you will grow into...but I'm not in any rush for it to happen just yet!

1 comment:

Mare said...

Your kids are gorgeous and so grown up! I LOVE your blog--I think I may become a regular stalker on it :) I like all your FHE ideas and your ideas on fitting all those important things in etc. . . I did have a question from your wheat post--where did you get your buckets? Did you get a good deal on them. I'm definitely going that route with my wheat--I too am tired of all the empty #10 cans!! Thanks-Maralee