Thursday, December 3, 2009

I am Thankful

November seemed to fly by in a flash. Well, come to think of it, 2009 was all kind of that way for me. I must be getting older... With December here, it is traditional to shift into the Christmas mode. Decorations, presents, Baby Jesus. But I don't want to give the impression that Thanksgiving was lost on me this year.

I am Thankful.

I feel so very blessed.

I try to count my blessings all year long, but with the Thanksgiving season, I have become especially mindful of all the Lord has done for me. I live in the United States. I come from a great family. I have kids and a husband who are not only adorable, but are healthy and happy. I have the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I belong to a wonderful ward. I have good friends. I live in a beautiful corner of the earth. I have food, shelter, and comfort.

So many nights this month I have fallen into bed and just thought about all of the things in my life that are good. Even the trials-because although they are a pain, I do believe that trials are good if the Lord is with us through them.

My life is not perfect. I get frustrated, irritated, grumpy, and impatient. But this month, it has seemed as though I was somewhat insulated from those feelings that are part of the human experience. And it's because of Gratitude. What a wonderful thing it is to count our blessings!!

Several days into the month of November I was wondering how to help our family count their blessings in a more tangible way. I stumbled acrossed an idea that I immediately ripped off. Each morning before school, the kids and I would share something we were grateful for and stick it on our 'Gilleland Gratitude Tree.' We have a nook in our house where we hang our coats and it has a door that leads to the garage. As per the fire code, it is a metal door and I recently discovered that MAGNETS stick to it!! How fun!! So this is where our tree lived and grew new leaves each morning.

I was pleasantly surprised at the enthusiasm this was met with each day. This is what we came up with:

1 comment:

Kelly said...

What a nice post. I'm totally stealing your idea!