Sunday, December 27, 2009

Heaven, I'm in Heaven

Those who know John and I know that for the most part, we get along quite well.

But we have a dark side to our coupledom.

If you have known us for any length of time, you would notice that our relationship has a gaping hole in our togetherness. Yes, it's true that while I am one who loves playing games, my husband does not share my enthusiasm in this aspect of our social lives. I know, I know, it is most amazing that we have managed to stay together all these 14+ years with this obvious mismatch. Good thing he the best kisser ever, or we might not have gotten off the ground all those years ago. Oops sorry, TMI. ;)

So today after church I experienced a little piece of heaven right at my own kitchen table. That's right, today we played a GAME!! And not just any game, but a BOARD GAME. And not just any board game, but THE FARMING GAME!! For those unfamiliar with the Farming Game, it is a board game that takes HOURS and HOURS to play! I LOVED IT!!!



John, Gabe, Seth, Elise, and I farmed for over 4 hours before Gabe accumulated the $250K required to win the game. I have to say though, it was a close game. We were all wealthy orchard owners by the end and it was a race to bring in the big harvest. The thing that made it so sweet was that all of us stayed happy and engaged throughout the entire game. I think it was a farming miracle. Yipee! :) So near the end of the game when John leaned over and asked if I was 'in heaven' playing this game, after I caught my breathe and dried the little tear that squeaked out of my eye, I just nodded, smiled, and embraced the warm, fuzzy moment.

Heaven? Ya, I think it will feel a little bit like this. :)



Sad Sidenote: To those familiar with the Farming Game, you will be saddened to see how the game has changed over the years. It used to have these super cool vinyl game pieces to represent portions of your farm, but they now have puzzle-like pieces instead. I was so sad to see that! I loved the vinyl pieces! Oh well, it was still oober fun to play!

6 comments:

Lucy said...

Farming game, huh. Wow. I love almost all games. Excluded on that very extensive list are the Farming Game and Monopoly. And possibly Risk. I need my entertainment to involve slightly less death and despair. But, I totally get how a wannabe beehive owner and furniture entrepreneur would dig all the speculation and chance. Awesome:)

I am outnumbered, however, as all of my boys love that game. They would have been in heaven.

Placido Domingo said...

Yeah, we loooove the farming game, almost as much as we love Risk. We still have the cool retro version with vinyl stickers, too. Hope you didn't buy cows, they always lose money.

Jay

deb said...

puzzle pieces??? bummer.

hendywow said...

Sounds like hours of fun! Actually we play alot of games with our Family, it's so fun that they are all old enough to have this time together! I agree, it is heavenly to see our children enjoy eachother.. As for the smooching, you can never underestimate the power of a great kiss! Go John!

Kelly said...

I LOVE the farming game. Jerry doesn't like many games either so I love it when I get to play with anyone. Sometime you should say to Jay or Seth, "It could be worse... but not by much!"

Laurene Ross said...

Love that game! Skip remembers you playing it fanatically:)