Wednesday, December 30, 2009

2009 The Year in Review

1. What did you do in 2009 that you’d never done before? One thing I did was create Blurb Books from my Blog. It really inspired me to be more diligent in chronicling our family life. I know this is boring for others reading my blog, but it was hugely thrilling for me to review. Other than that, I haven't been too outside of the box this year.

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year? I guess I am a little outside of the box in the fact that I have never been one to make resolutions each New Year. I definately like to reflect and ponder on where to step it up, but I am not a goal setter. This is not something I particularly like about myself either, but it must not bother me too much, because I haven't made any crazy resolutions this year. I have decided to get fit this year though, I am not getting any younger...

3. Did anyone close to you give birth? No one that I am really close to gave birth this year. This is another point that has added to the realization that I am not getting any younger. I sat with a girl in her early 20's at a dinner and heard her talking about how there weren't a lot of 'young' girls in our ward and I realized I had crossed the line from 'young mom' to 'older lady with kids'...a while ago. :)

4. Did anyone close to you die? Thankfully, no one close to me. I did attend 2 funerals that happened close together and it really gave me pause and made me think about the whole 'What are we here on Earth to do?' thing. I decided that Family really matters. A lot.

5. What countries did you visit? In Feb. this year we had an amazing trip to visit my parents on the island of Tobago. We did a lot of extra stuff in connection with the trip that made it really fulfilling. We earned money, collected clothing, and worked together with the idea that we would 'help out' the people my parents grew to know there. It was travel with a purpose and I SO enjoyed that part of it. The beaches weren't too bad either. Great family trip.

6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009? I would like to have better general health.

7. What date from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? Etched seems like such a dramatic word. I don't know that any etching took place, but I did enjoy some memorable moments. See my blog.

8. What was your biggest personal achievement of the year? Hmm. That is a tough one. Personal Achievement. I gave up soda for a while.

9. What was your biggest failure? I drank soda again. Dr Pepper.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury? This year I have been so sickly. It has been down right maddening. The worst was getting pneumonia at the beginning of the summer. Yuck. I would be such a grumpy chronically ill person! No big injuries to speak of. Seth broke an arm this year in football.

11. What was the best thing you bought? I got an awesome chair with down cushions for a crazy good price. It has made me consider getting into the furniture business. 2010 will have to see how that all turns out.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration? I have had a super soft spot in my heart this year for my husband as I have seen him juggle so many things with grace and charm. He is teaching Early Morning Seminary again this year and I wish he had a dollar for everyone that tells him they would never have time to do that. He is so busy. He is going from 5:30 every morning until late each night. Of course he manages to balance his job (super stressful this year, by the way), his family, and his church stuff in a way that just blows my mind. He manages to squeeze in all kinds of service to others in the free moments as well. And he does it all with a smile. Amazing.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? This is where I would write a political rant, but I won't. I find most things about our enormous government appalling and depressing.

14. Where did most of your money go? Most of my money goes to Uncle Sam. Big Jerk. Waaaay too much of our cash went to service our debt. Lovely. Real Estate was so fun in 2009. I am hoping 2010 will find much more of our resources going to exotic vacations, or at least have CDOT deciding on the future of said Real Estate.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? I LOVED hearing my kids play in orchestras this year. It is so great to see them make music. I also enjoy watching them in sports. Any time your kids learn new skills it is super fun.

16. What song will always remind you of 2009? Hmmm. This is a tough one. Either '911' or 'I Gotta Feelin' I have heard Jackson singing both of these songs in the shower and it is freakin' adorable!

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? 
b) thinner or fatter? 
c) richer or poorer? a) I think I am sadder. This time last year we were preparing to travel to Tobago and it made me so, so happy to see our family getting really into that. I think traveling with a purpose is like a big fat happy pill. b) I am thinner, but mostly because of illness. That's no way to get thinner! I hope this year to be thinner because I am healthier. c) poorer in financial ways (see 14), but richer in a lot of ways that matter to me.

18. What do you wish you’d done more of? Service. Visiting with family and friends-it makes me happy!

19. What do you wish you’d done less of? I have been a lazy daisy this year. I wish I were more 'sturdy.' There were so many days I didn't get many of my things done because I just ran out of steam. That bugs!

20. Did you fall in love in 2009? Yes. See #12. I just am really digging my husband this year!!!

21. What was your favorite TV program? Hmm. I don't watch anything regularly. John and I got the DVD's for 'Lost-Season 5' that we are planning to watch together. We like doing late night marathons when the whole season comes out.

22. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year? No. I can't think of anyone I hate. Oh wait, see #13.

23. What was the best book you read? I really enjoyed 'The Hiding Place' and 'These Is My Words,' but the best book I read was 'Atlas Shrugged.' I think everyone should read that book.

24. What was your greatest musical discovery? I enjoyed picking up my flute again this year. I can still remember most of the notes. ;)

25. What did you want and get? I wanted an iPod for my birthday and I got an iTouch. My husband spoils me for sure.

26. What did you want and not get? I wanted to sell all of our lots and have many new and fun neighbors. A little neighborhood of new, funness.

27. What was your favorite film of this year? I really liked seeing 'Avatar' in 3D. I went in with super low expectations and was pleasantly surprised. I really liked the 3D, and the whole 10 ft. tall blue natives thing. This is the only film of 2009 I can actually remember seeing as my movie memory is exceptionally short. OK, I also liked 'Star Trek' and 'The Fantastic Mr. Fox.' Oh, and I always enjoy the 'Harry Potter' movies too. Nothing really grabbed me and shook me around, but I found many movies enjoyable.

28. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? I turned 38 this year and I had an OUTSTANDING birthday. My friends surprised me at lunch and it was a ball!! I loved it!

29. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? I feel pretty satisfied with the year, so I am not sure about the whole 'immeasurably' thing. But I certainly would have had more fun with robust health. I love the summer and all of the outdoor fun that goes with it, I felt kinda like a big fat wet blanket was over all of that this year. Stupid pneumonia.

30. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008? Fashion concept. Fashion concept. Hmm. I am super lame when it comes to fashion. Durango living has only amplified my lack of fashionista-ness. I am pretty boring. Jeans in winter. Capris and flip-flops all summer. Interchange t-shirts at will.

31. What kept you sane? No question about this one. My faith. I am so grateful to belong to the Church of Jesus Christ. Going to church to worship each Sunday is like the glue that holds everything else together. Especially on those weeks when I don't want to go to church. I am so glad I have John as a partner in my faith. It makes everything worthwhile and puts everything into perspective. My family is my center-I do let the whole Motherhood thing get me a little crazy, but overall I am amazed each day that I have the life I do. I am excited for the New Year and the adventures awaiting my Big G Life!

1 comment:

Mimi said...

enjoyed reading this Michelle. And was pleasantly surprised to see that two of the books you really enjoyed ( 'The Hiding Place' and 'These Is My Words') are two that I really enjoyed reading also!