Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Warm

A long time ago, on a campus far, far away...

I attended college a zillion years ago at what was then known as Rick's College (now BYU-I) and I'm not going to lie-it was cold there in Idaho. Really, really cold! But there were always things that could make me feel warm (Oh how I loved to feel warm).

There was this place on campus called The Nordic. It was a place where you could buy lunch if, like me, you didn't have a cafeteria pass and you didn't want to walk up the hill to the dorms just yet. I loved going to the Nordic. It was always warm. There were these round tables near the front I loved to frequent. After most morning classes you could go by and see some warm smiles of familiar faces. I would hang out there talking to old friends and making new ones most days. I missed too many afternoon classes when I couldn't tear myself away from the warmth I felt there because I wasn't ready to face the cold outside.

The Nordic had all kinds of food, but I was on a serious budget. Luckily the Nordic offered a giant slice of warm wheat bread coated in honey-butter for a pittance. It was good. Super good. And gooey. And sweet. And warm. My mouth is watering a little just thinking of it's warm yummy goodness! I would go in phases when I absolutely subsisted on that stuff! The snow would fly, the Rexburg wind would blow, but I didn't care. There in the Nordic, with my big slice of bread, surrounded by friends, I was warm. Truly and wholly warm.

Now it's no secret that I don't love the cold. When the temperatures start to drop and the leaves start to change I find myself fighting my cold weather funk. I didn't want to let the chill sneak in and get a foothold. It must have something to do with being born and raised in the Arizona desert...

Sure enough, the days are getting shorter and the mercury is starting to dip. I decided this week that I would not succumb to the chill. I wanted to stay warm, and honestly, there is something about fall that makes me feel compelled to bake. And so I did. I got out the grinder and the Bosch and I have made lots and lots of wheat bread. The kids and I have really enjoyed it. there is something nice about cutting into a fresh loaf of bread, slathering it up, nuking it for a seconds if necessary, and just letting that honey butter soak in... AH! I LOVE IT!



What has really been satisfying this week though is sharing all of the whole wheat goodness. I have taken loaves to recent widows, relief society sisters, new moms, and people on the mend from surgeries. And although it's not the front table of the Nordic, it's still good. I have seen smiles of friends and in spite of the weather, I have felt warm. Really, really warm.

9 comments:

Lanazydaisy said...

You do make an awesome loaf of bread. What a great way to keep your heart and hands warm...sharing!

Cajsa said...

I probably didn't spend as much time as you in the Nordic, but what I remember are the wonderful sandwiches...mmm...Miss those days. You have to send me a good recipe for wheat bread!

Team Caldwell said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Team Caldwell said...

Sorry had to delete before- forgot to spell check before sending-yikes...
recipe sharing time! my mom doesn't have hers written down so it will be lost soon, so i am constantly looking for a good one! PS- I never went to the nordic always thought it was not for me-guess i should have, but i was a craig-o's and horkley's gal!

Kelly said...

I didn't want to go to Ricks at first because I thought it was too cold. My mom took me there to check it out one weekend. It was June, I woke up, looked out the hotel window and it was snowing! I just looked at my mom and didn't say anything. But I still loved it there although I went for the Belgain waffles piled with whipped cream and strawberries on Saturday mornings!

meegz said...

I wonder if it's bad that what I remember most about my college days is the area to eat and socialize? Seems to be a trend, glad I'm not alone!:)
I kinda hope medical schools don't have that same place, I want my Dr's to remember more about the whole academic part.:)

Rod Murphy said...

Aaaahhh-the Nordic. It really did feel "warm" didn't it. So much time spent there-that really is one of my favorite memories. You are such an amazing person-bread or not-you have a way of making people feel "warm" just by your company. Miss you!

Rod Murphy said...

Hey-wait-that showed Rod wrote that. That was totally me-Dona-hee hee. Guess I need to figure out how to fix that.

Tony Sorensen said...

The Nordic was awesome! sandwiches, salads, those were some great times!