Friday, May 22, 2009

My Happy Place

Being sick is a drag. It bums me out to not be able to do what I want to do because my body is too tired. Today I decided get back to what makes me SO happy this time of year. When I see the flower beds coming to life, opening up to color the season, I just feel good. I feel excited and full of anticipation as spring unfolds. Everything in my front beds are just stuff coming up from summers past. I have some kicking delphiniums, glads, lilies, dianthus, and GOBS of snapdragons. I have a few mystery plants as well-I can't wait to see what they will be. :)

I made my day laborers (Gabe and Seth) hop in the car so I could put them to work for a little bit. It is the first official day of summer vacation and I have to set the precedent early. So we cruised out to Bayfield Gardens to see if we could add some annual flower color to our perrennial garden. What a treat it was for me! I am walking the aisles of a giant green house with two of my favorite guys and they are taking a real interest in picking out flowers! I had to pinch myself a few times and my cheeks were getting sore from smiling like a goof. We picked out many of the old standards (pink petunias and yellow marigolds) and the boys picked out a few new ones like giant lilies and a dahlia they thought was cool.

Unloading the spoils of our outing
The boys did NOT want to pose for me-I am such a blog pest
This is one of my mystery plants.  What the heck is this giganto-leafed thing?  Time will tell...
And here is my most favoritest (ya, I know that's poor grammar) plant in my garden.  The Peony-the awesome peony!  This is actually a peony my sister Kim gave me years ago and I have transplanted it to our home.  It starts out in early spring as little red sprouts that grow into this great shrub.  The blooms grow for weeks before bursting into huge flowers.  Last year they got frozen....ooo....I just can't wait! I love it!

5 comments:

George and Eva Ross said...

Did you notice if my peony came up last time you were at our place? It is one of my favorites as well. It looks like it may be the same color as yours. I am sad I will miss it, or have missed it!
I am glad to see you getting out a little. Take it easy!

Lucy said...

I've never been much of a gardener, but have been delighted this spring watching things come out of the ground that I did not plant. It's fascinating really. I can see how this could be a happy place in my future.

That looks like a lot of work. I hope you didn't wear yourself out.

meegz said...

I'm envious of all those different flowers. Yeah for spring!!!

meegz said...

ps..Libbie is with my Mom this week. You'll have to go say hi.

hendywow said...

You are so cool Michelle,I don't exactly have a green thumb, but you are an inspiration. BTW, the last time I planted anything I was in Colorado...I need to find out what grows in the Desert.