Sunday, April 26, 2009

New Calling

Today I got a new Calling in our ward. I was released as the Webelos leader, Achievement Days leader, and Relief Society teacher. I was called to be the new 1st Councilor in the Primary Presidency.

I went into the bathroom during the rest hymn. The restroom has a little room attached to it with a soft chair where mothers can sit with their babies. I saw one of my AD day girls sitting in there crying. I wasn't sure what to do! I knelt down by the chair and asked her what was the matter. She looked up at me and said she was sad I wasn't going to be her leader anymore! I couldn't believe it! I sat down next to her in the big soft chair and we talked about how much fun we had together and I told her she and the other girls were what made AD so much fun. I told her it was her willing attitude that made me a good leader. I reminded them that the new AD leader is a really great, fun lady (truly!). After we both dried our tears, we went back in to Sac Mtg. together. They really are such a fun group of girls-the kind of group that is easy to plan good things for.

I have really enjoyed having minimal responsibilities on Sunday. I enjoy Gospel Doctrine and RS each week. But I knew a change was coming my way and I haven't been in Primary for a while. Since a large percentage of the kids are my own biological children (ha) I guess it makes sense. Those same AD girls are of course in Primary too, along with lots of other terrific kids. The former Presidency has been brilliant and it should make it pretty easy for us to ease right in! Wish me luck! :)

8 comments:

George and Eva Ross said...

Congratulations on condensing your callings to one! You have had an impact on those young girls and it won't stop as you assist in the Primary. You will eventually cycle back to YW and have them again. They will be a great support to you in the Primary presidency. I know you are an awesome with all the kids and they benefit from associating with you. You have that caring spirit that draws them to you. We are proud of you.

April said...

Wow, you had three callings before?Busy lady! You'll be awesome in primary, and all of those kids are lucky to have you. Come visit ours with 120 kids, and it'll make you really grateful for yours!:) Good luck with it, I'm sure you'll do an outstanding job!

Brooke said...

You don't need LUCK, but I will wish it to you anyway! That is so touching that this little girl was in tears over you being released. You must have really made an impact on her life. Way to go!

Lucy said...

You will be awesome. I'm jealous! I love primary. I love that you touched that girl's life enough to be missed. That's just a taste of the kind of influence you will have on those sweet little primary children. Congrats!

Team Caldwell said...

Thanks for the no help with my hole! ha ha. it is not my thing either. if i see the idea i can recreate to perfection, but my mind can't make new ideas! congrats on the primary, that is the on;y place i feel comfortable. maybe we will win the lottery, then we can buy the ranch house and you can give me a calling!!! now that's the perfect life!

Mimi said...

Church callings are such a blessing to us. I believe I have learned in so many ways so much more than I ever did in any education system while trying to serve the Lord in the callings I've received. This may be another time around doing the same thing, but you will learn new and different things and be able to help new and different people!

fourlittleloves said...

YAY!!! You will be AMAZING!!! The kids will love you! (Just like the little girl does-how precious of her) I am so excited for you Michelle!
Ok - I need to ask you a question??? The Bishop and I were discussing you and your amazing talk on Africa and we think you need to come to Bayfield and do it again for the youth!! I know you have done it so many times but that must tell you something---YOU HAVE SUCH A BEAUTIFUL SPIRIT!!! Anyways we would love to have you come and do it again for the combined YM/YW activity on May 20th. Seriously, if you cant or dont want to, dont worry, I have some other ideas up my sleeve but you are at the top of my list! I really think these kids need to see what it is like in a poor country and the sweet spirits those people have!! You can let me know! Either facebook me or email me at fourlittleloves@yahoo.com
Talk to you soon!!
Love, Tiff

shawni said...

Hey Shelly, you will think I'm crazy because I'm just barely responding to some old blog comments and came across your very nice one. Then I saw your picture and I swear I've met you. I'm so bad with names and faces but you look so familiar. I know you're friends with Lisa so probably through her but I think you live in CO. Anyway, just wnated to tell you HI. And congrats on that new calling. You'll be awesome.