Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Christmas Eve

This Christmas Eve I was feeling, well, snowed in. Our attempt at doing our traditional Nativity Play went badly (see Monday's post). I had the costumes. I had the scripts. But I let my enthusiasm get away from me.

As I was trying to figure out how to get the kids to agree to go to bed at 6:30, the doorbell rang. And who, to my wondering eyes did appear? It was Greg and Lanae and their 5 kids so dear (I even got my Christmas rhyme on!). They arrived and immediately breathed new life into my Christmas Spirit.

We got out the costumes. We got out the scripts. Everyone brought their enthusiasm. With both of our families and Hank, we had just enough characters (a few non-readers needed some help) to reenact the Nativity Story.

Shepherds
Angel and Narrator
Innkeeper and Wife
Wisemen with gifts
Singing to Mary, Joseph, and the Baby

It was so much fun and I was so glad the Manns helped me get back my Nativity mojo. They headed out and we were left to open our one present on Chirstmas Eve. Surprise!! It's pajamas!! We all play along as if we don't know that's what I am going to let them open each year. The big boys all got pajama pants, the little boys and Elise traditional pj's and John and I watched. Then it was off to bed. A perfect Christmas Eve.



3 comments:

Laurene Ross said...

I am so glad your Christmas ended up the way you wanted. You guys have some great friends. The nativity is so ingenious. Thanks for sharing all your great ideas!

fourlittleloves said...

Michelle, you looked like you guys had a blast! I hope you had a great Christmas! When are we gonna get together??? We need to so soon! Take care and have a wonderful NEW YEAR!!

Sue said...

You're amazing! I love the costumes and that you wrote a play ~
I hope your trip to Utah was superfun. I'm reading your blog and your FB page and I'm trying to figure out why we're not better friends. You can pull me out of my quiet girl rut. Just kidding. But we should have a girl's night out soon.