Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Small pic of a huge spider

I was looking out the window this morning and saw a tarantula crawling up the side of our house. By the time I got the camera, it had made it to the roof. It was smallish as tarantulas go, but huge as far as creepy spiders go.

I guess this is the time of year when tarantulas wander. i saw one almost every year we lived at the pit, but this is the first one I have seen here. Apparently, they think fall is the right time of year to go lookin' for love. They just start walking around in hopes of running into another tarantula that might be feeling amorous too. Although they are a big in spider terms, they still seem impossibly small when compared to the relative size of the territory they have to cover.

I am really hoping this tarantula strikes out big time anywhere near my house. Although they are relatively harmless (their bite is compared to a wasp sting) I have NO desire to have 50-200 of his offspring emerge in the spring. They flat out CREEP me out!! I am a huge chicken when it comes to spiders, bugs, mice, and whatever else you can think of that is small and elusively creepy.

1 comment:

Mimi said...

I totally agree with you. I just saw a small on on the driveway today. I tried to talk Clint into running over it on the way out and he made a special effort to miss it! I don't mind if they are outside, but (after living in AZ and HI with so MANY bugs!)I live in fear of one joining us in our house! Never has happened tho so we're probably safe.