Monday, September 15, 2008

Officially Uncool

Well, the day has arrived. I am now OFFICIALLY uncool (there's a strong likelihood I was super uncool long before this, but it was never official).

Last week I signed a permission slip for Gabe to go on a fieldtrip. He asked me if I wanted to come. I checked the appropriate box letting the powers that be know that I was interested in attending. So, today is the day. The first fieldtrip of Gabe's Middle School career. We went to the concert hall at the college to hear the San Juan Symphony. All of the 6th graders in the school district attended.

I got to school a bit early and went to Gabe's homeroom where he said a brief hello before I went and sat in the corner to wait. When we made our way to the bus, Gabe ran ahead with some friends and by the time I walked down the aisle, Gabe was already sitting in a seat with a buddy. I smiled and sat next to a lonely looking kid.

We got to the concert hall and it was a sea of 6th graders making their way to the front doors. Gabe was far ahead as I maneuvered my way to a seat at the very back row of the balcony. Once again, I sat by some kids who were not sitting with anyone else. Gabe was in the row ahead of me at the other end.

I must say- I LOVED the concert! It was a concert to teach about and spark interest in orchestra and band. All of the songs they played were familiar and fun. They opened with the song they use on the 'Beef' commercials-it's very westernish. They also played Beethoven's 5th and Ode to Joy among others. They ended with the music from Harry Potter and The Simpsons. I enjoyed every moment and savored every sight and sound. There is something so cool about a live concert. You FEEL it as well as hear it. I took pics although I noticed a 'No flash photography' sign as we left....oops!

On the bus ride home I rode with a darling little guy that I noticed was a loner. He didn't even try to sit with anyone. I talked to him all the way home. He was a really nice kid and a super handsome little guy, but he had speech impediments on some letters. He seemed glad to talk to me and didn't mind having to repeat himself. It reminded me how difficult those Middle School years can be. I told him how I went to a different school from 5th-11th grades and he was very sympathetic. He was so sweet- I was so sad he didn't have any friends! :( He said he didn't know who Gabe was. He plays the drums and we talked a lot about music.

I did get one pic of Gabe from a distance... ;) It's not that he was unkind to me, just kinda goofy about me being there. I certainly didn't push it. I tried to respect his space. He said bye to me as he hopped off the bus and ran inside. I know it is an awkward time of life and he is asserting his independance and blah, blah, blah. I knew this day would come- I just hoped it would be further into the future! I am no longer Gabe's fun mom on fieldtrips- I am officially Uncool!

2 comments:

meegz said...

I'd say you are pretty cool for giving him his space. Open up that house and refrigerator and you'll be "officially cool" real fast.:)

Mimi said...

I agree with Megan...you're very cool!